Damages You Can Recover in a Personal Injury Case
After you’ve been injured by somebody else’s negligence or reckless actions, you may be entitled to seek financial compensation for the expenses and losses that you’ve incurred due to your injuries. Those responsible for your injury may owe you money to cover:
- Medical treatment and physical rehabilitation to recover from your injuries.
- Long-term care to help with permanent disabilities caused by your injuries.
- Loss of income from the time you miss working due to your injury.
- Lost earning capacity or lost expected future earnings, including benefits such as health insurance or pension benefits, if injuries caused by disabilities reduce or eliminate your ability to work.
- Physical pain and emotional or mental suffering caused by your injuries and recovery.
- Reduced quality of life due to disfigurement, disability, or decreased life expectancy because of your injuries.
- Punitive damages, when the at-fault party’s conduct is found to have been outrageous enough to warrant punishment through the imposition of a financial award.
- Property damaged in the accident that injured you.
How Can a Greenville Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
A Greenville injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights after a serious accident and help you pursue just compensation if you have a valid claim. It’s a good idea to seek the assistance of an experienced injury attorney if you have been seriously injured. Seeking compensation from someone else’s insurance company without a lawyer can be challenging, confusing, and stressful.
At Hardison & Cochran, you can expect our attorneys to put our skills and resources to work for you. Our knowledgeable and compassionate attorneys will:
- Take the time to review the details of your accident and injuries to evaluate your claim.
- Explain your rights and options for seeking financial recovery and describing what to expect throughout the claims process.
- Handle the investigation of the accident, including securing evidence, interviewing witnesses, and collaborating with experts to build a persuasive argument in favor of securing maximum compensation on your behalf.
- Connect you with medical providers to ensure that you get the treatment you need for your injuries.
- Evaluate the full extent of your losses, including pain and suffering and lost enjoyment of life.
- Handle negotiations with insurance companies and defense firms.
- Represent you during alternative dispute resolution procedures, such as mediation or arbitration.
- File a lawsuit on your behalf to secure a favorable outcome in your case and ensure that your case is properly pursued in court.
Ultimately, we want to be here as a trusted resource that you can rely upon during one of the most difficult times in your life.
How Can I File a Personal Injury Claim in Greenville, NC?
Filing a personal injury claim in Greenville, NC begins with our personal injury lawyers conducting a thorough investigation of the accident or incident that injured you. This includes securing the evidence needed to identify the parties at fault for your injuries and explaining how their actions caused the harm that you suffered in a persuasive legal argument.
Our attorneys start claims by sending demand letters to the other side’s insurance company. The letter outlines the facts of the case and explains why the other party should be financially liable for the injuries and losses you have sustained. A demand letter may initiate a negotiation process, with both sides working towards an agreeable settlement figure to resolve the claim.
If a settlement cannot be reached, our attorneys may need to file a civil lawsuit in Pitt County Superior Court on your behalf to preserve your right to pursue compensation. If that is necessary, the litigation process begins with the pleadings stage, where your allegations and the other side’s defenses are set forth. That is followed by the discovery process, where both sides exchange evidence and information and depose witnesses.
Assuming the case does not settle, a lawsuit may eventually be scheduled for a trial. A settlement can still be reached as the case is being prepared for trial. At trial, both parties present their evidence and arguments to a jury. Our attorneys will seek to convince the jury that it was more likely than not that the other side caused your injuries and losses. At the end of the trial, the jury will issue a verdict. If the jury decides in your favor, the jury will also decide how much compensation the at-fault party owes you.
Most of our clients prefer to avoid the stress and uncertainty of a trial if possible. Our Greenville injury attorneys are experienced negotiators and typically are able to settle cases without going to trial.
Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Greenville, NC
In addition to handling personal injury claims, our firm also assists injured workers in Greenville seek workers’ compensation benefits for work-related injuries and occupational illnesses. Unfortunately, thousands of workers across North Carolina suffer injuries on the job that cause them to miss work or cost them their lives.
We understand that recovering from a workplace injury can seem overwhelming, especially when you also have to deal with the financial burdens of lost income due to missed work. Our experienced North Carolina workers’ compensation attorneys help clients with every aspect of their cases. We seek to help our clients obtain the full workers’ compensation benefits available by law.
Our Firm’s History
Hardison & Cochran was founded with a focus on building a law firm that always puts the client first. At our firm’s founding, we decided that we would concentrate exclusively on representing clients in injury and disability cases. This has allowed our legal team and staff to build extensive knowledge and experience in personal injury law, defective medical devices, dangerous drugs, nursing home abuse and negligence, workers’ compensation, mass torts, and Social Security disability.
Over the three decades of our firm’s history, we have expanded from our original Dunn, North Carolina office to serve clients from offices in Raleigh, Fayetteville, Southern Pines, Durham, Greensboro, and Wilmington. Attorney Ben Cochran is the managing partner of our law firm, and we’re proud to have developed an outstanding reputation in North Carolina and among our peers in the legal profession. Many of our law firm’s attorneys are invited to speak at various legal lectures and seminars.