Where do I go for medical treatment after I get hurt at work?

Your employer has the right to direct you to a doctor for treatment. However, you have a right to get a second opinion if you are dissatisfied with your treatment.

You must find out from either your employer or your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier where you need to go to seek treatment. If they will not provide you with treatment, then you can seek treatment on your own and request that the N.C. Industrial Commission name this physician as your treating physician.

If you become dissatisfied with your treatment, and that medical provider releases you, then you may be entitled to a second opinion. If, after that second opinion, there are other treatments recommended, you can ask the Industrial Commission to order your employer’s workers’ compensation carrier to provide the recommended treatment.

These matters can often lead to disputes between injured employees, employers and insurance companies. It is important to get help from a lawyer who will help you to be covered for the medical care and treatment that you need to address your injury or illness.

To learn more, please see our page on What to Expect in Your Workers’ Compensation Case.