Dog Bite Prevention
- Do not approach an unfamiliar or stray dog.
- Never panic and run away from a dog screaming and yelling.
- If approached by an unfamiliar dog, stand and “be still like a tree”.
- Never make eye contact with an unfamiliar or stray dog.
- Do not disturb a dog when it is sleeping, eating or tending to its puppies.
- Never leave children alone with a dog.
If you would like more information on dog bite prevention and safety tips, you can contact your local animal control office. Public education, support for local animal control programs and united community efforts can all help prevent dog bites.
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), United States Postal Service (USPS) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) emphasize public education throughout the year. Dog Bites are the center of attention each year during the third full week of May, officially known as National Dog Bite Prevention Week.