If you’re a frequent reader of our blog, you may have seen a previous blog post on the lawsuits associated with the Johnson & Johnson Depuy Hip Replacement. As an overview, lawsuits are being filed alleging that the hip replacement was designed with a flaw. This flaw, which stems from a metal-on-metal design, has caused the product to fail at an alarmingly high rate of 12%-15%. This failure usually means pain for the patient and also a second surgery to rectify the first failed attempt.
In addition to the pain and second surgery, the Depuy Hip Replacement may expose patients to “heavy metal toxicity”. Since our blog is aimed at keeping the public informed and providing education, let’s take a look at “Heavy Metal Toxicity.”
What are “heavy metals”?”
Heavy metals” are chemical elements with a specific gravity that is at least 5 times the specific gravity of water.
Are all heavy metals bad for you?
No, many offer benefits and are in your daily diet of fruits and vegetables.
When do they become bad for you?When your body has so much heavy metal in it that it cannot metabolize and it accumulates in your soft tissues, is when a person will start feeling the adverse symptoms of heavy metal toxicity.
What are the symptoms of heavy metal toxicity?
- Chronic pain throughout the muscles and tendons or any soft tissues of the body
- Chronic malaise – general feeling of discomfort, fatigue, and illness
- Brain fog – state of forgetfulness and confusion
- Chronic infections such as Candida
- Gastrointestinal complaints, such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, heartburn, and indigestion
- Food allergies
- Migraines and/or headaches
- Visual disturbances
- Mood swings, depression, and/or anxiety
- Nervous system malfunctions – burning extremities, numbness, tingling, paralysis, and/or an electrifying feeling throughout the body